Requesting an Undergraduate Leave of Absence

If you meet the qualifications for Back2UA, you do not need to request an Official Leave of Absence.

Back2UA: Domestic/international undergraduate students may miss no more than two consecutive regular (Fall/Spring) semesters without applying for readmission or requesting an Official Leave of Absence. Students must leave in Academic Eligible status, Academic Review Status, or Academic Warning Status to qualify. Please visit the Back2UA  Admissions website for more information and to determine which semester you are eligible to return through Back2UA.

Are you enrolled as a non-degree seeking student?

You must meet the following criteria in order to qualify for an Official Leave of Absence:

  1. Cumulative GPA of at least 2.000.
  2. Bursar account must be paid in full.
  3. No pending disciplinary action.
  4. Be registered for the semester immediately preceding the term for which the leave is requested or have an approved Complete Withdrawal on file through the Office of the Registrar.

If you meet the criteria, you may complete the Official Leave of Absence form.  An Official Leave of Absence may be granted for no more than two consecutive regular (Fall/Spring) semesters. Return the form to the office of Registration and Transcripts along with the required signatures.

Undergraduate students who do not return at the end of the approved leave or students who drop all their courses without being granted Official Leave of Absence will be required to apply for readmission through the Office of Admissions.

Students receiving financial aid and/or living in a UA residence hall are responsible for contacting the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid and/or Housing & Residential Life.


Are you a military student?

Military Leave of Absence


Are you planning to Study Abroad?

If you qualify for Back2UA, it isn't necessary to submit a Leave of Absence however, you must contact the Study Abroad office prior to leaving.

All students studying abroad on programs not run through UA Study Abroad should register in the UAbroad system found on the Study Abroad website. If these students wish to receive support such as the posting of credits to their UAccess account as well as health, safety and emergency support, they should apply in UAbroad  to an Independent Global Experience.  Students who do not wish to receive these services should register in the Non-UA Program category in order to obtain logistical information including but not limited to credit transfer and financial aid.  For more information about UA Study Abroad programs, please see the Global Study Abroad website or make an appointment online with a Study Abroad coordinator.