Military Deployment & Leave of Absence

The University of Arizona recognizes that some of its students may be placed on active duty and that many questions may arise as a result. The Office of the Registrar offers several options for students who are being deployed and are therefore unable to complete their coursework. Whenever possible, we request that you explore these options before leaving campus.

Consult with your instructor about finishing a course early. For example, you may be able to get credit for a course by submitting your final term paper ahead of schedule. If you are not able to complete a course, you may be able to receive a grade of Incomplete ("I"). This may be an option if you can reasonably expect to complete the remainder of your coursework within a year*.

The University of Arizona supports students who are members of the United States armed forces and reserve units. An undergraduate or graduate student who is a member of the U.S. military, National Guard or other armed forces reserve unit who is called or ordered to active duty elsewhere may be granted a Military Leave of Absence (MLOA) from the University for the period of active duty and up to one year after returning from active duty. Students with the MLOA need not apply for readmission or pay readmission fees. MLOA allows those students to preregister for classes during their priority registration period prior to the term when they plan to return to campus. 

The Military Leave of Absence application must be completed and submitted to the Registration & Transcripts Office in Administration 210 prior to the student’s departure from the University, must be accompanied by a copy of the military orders indicating the date on which the student must report for active duty elsewhere. When students are called to active duty after classes begin, they should refer to the Complete Withdrawal from the Term page for a complete withdrawal from the current term, in addition to filing the MLOA for subsequent terms. If students receive financial aid and/or live in a UA residence hall, they are responsible for contacting the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid and/or Office of Residence Life. For assistance with the MLOA form, contact your college dean's office.

Enrolled students who are members of the United States Armed Forces including the National Guard, Reserves or Active Duty who are unable to attend class for less than 30 days within the term due to a military obligation will be afforded the opportunity to complete class requirements. 

  • The student is responsible for notifying their instructor within 10 days of receipt of orders and prior to missing classes, exams or assignments. 
  • The instructor will provide the qualifying student with opportunities to complete class requirements with reasonable due dates accounting for the excused absence. 
    • The instructor may request review by the Dean of Students or designee of the student’s military orders to determine their validity and to consult on recommended reasonable due dates. 
    • If the student and instructor are unable to come to a mutually satisfactory agreement concerning revised due dates, the Dean of Students or designee will work with the faculty member to make a final determination of adjusted due dates.
  • Coursework that was to be completed during the absence will not incur a reduced grade penalty when submitted by the agreed upon deadline. 
  • The instructor may award an Incomplete (I) Grade if the excused absence is near the end of the class and the student has completed all but a small portion of the coursework in accordance with the Incomplete Grade policy. 

To request a Military Short-term Leave of Absence, please complete the Military Short-term Leave of Absence form. The submission process is outlined on the form. 

If you are a graduate student who is being deployed for active military duty, you should be aware of the Leave of Absence policy in the Graduate Catalog. To request a Graduate Leave of Absence, please complete the Graduate Student Leave of Absence form

The Leave of Absence form should be returned to: 

Graduate Degree Certification Office 
Administration Building, Room 316 
Tucson, AZ 85746 

It is extremely important that you advise the UArizona Military Connected Benefits & Certifications Office of all changes in your registration status.

Military-Connected Benefits & Certifications  
Student Union Memorial Center, Rm 404 | 1303 E. University Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721
Phone: 520-621-9501  |  Email: