Military Deployment Information for University of Arizona Students

The University of Arizona recognizes that some of its students may be placed on active duty and that many questions may arise as a result. The Office of the Registrar offers several options for students who are being deployed and are therefore unable to complete their coursework. Whenever possible, we request that you explore these options before leaving campus.


Course Options

·         Consult with your course instructor about finishing a course early. For example, you may be able to get credit for a course by submitting your final term paper ahead of schedule.

·         If you are not able to complete a course, you may be able to receive a grade of Incomplete (“I”). This may be an option if you can reasonably expect to complete the remainder of your coursework within two* years time.


Military Leave of Absence

The University of Arizona supports students who are members of the United States armed forces and reserve units. An undergraduate or graduate student who is a member of the U.S. military, National Guard or other armed forces reserve unit who is called or ordered to active duty elsewhere may be granted a Military Leave of Absence (MLOA) from the University for the period of active duty and up to one year after returning from active duty. Students with the MLOA need not apply for readmission or pay readmission fees. MLOA allows those students to preregister for classes during their priority registration period prior to the term when they plan to return to campus.


The Military Leave of Absence application is available online from the Registrar’s Office forms site. The completed application, to be submitted to the Registration & Transcripts Office in Administration 210 prior to the student’s departure from the University, must be accompanied by a copy of the military orders indicating the date on which the student must report for active duty elsewhere. When students are called to active duty after classes begin, they should refer to the Complete Withdrawal from the Term page for a complete withdrawal from the current term, in addition to filing the MLOA for subsequent terms. If students receive financial aid and/or live in a UA residence hall, they are responsible for contacting the Office of Student Financial Aid and/or Office of Residence Life.

For assistance with the MLOA form, contact your college dean's office.


For More Information

Please call the Veterans Services Office at (520) 621-9501 Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time, or e-mail


* In accordance with the University’s policy on Incomplete grades, you are allowed one year to finish your coursework. You are allowed, however, to petition your college dean for an extension of up to one additional year, should this become necessary due to your deployment.