Proposition 300 FAQs



Q. What is Proposition 300?

A. Proposition 300 is a referendum approved by Arizona voters in November 2006. Proposition 300 provides that university students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents, or who do not have lawful immigration status, are not eligible for in-state tuition status or financial aid that is funded or subsidized by state monies.


Q. Does Proposition 300 apply to me?

A. If you (a) do not receive in-state tuition status, and (b) do not receive financial aid funded by state monies (Arizona), then you are NOT affected by Proposition 300.

If you (a) receive in-state tuition status, or (b) receive financial aid that is supported by state monies (Arizona), then you are affected by Proposition 300.


Q. If Proposition 300 applies to me, what do I have to do?

A. With rare exceptions, students in the following groups will NOT have to provide further documentation of lawful presence.

  1. Students who have completed a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) will have already verified lawful presence in the U.S. and will not need to provide further information.
  2. Students who have unexpired student visas that have been verified by the Office of International Students.
  3. Student workers who have provided I-9 verification after 1986 to the University Office of Human Resources.
  4. Students who seek neither financial aid nor resident tuition status.

If you do not fall into any of the groups above, and you wish to apply for in-state tuition or financial aid supported by state monies, then you must provide documentation of

  1. U.S. citizenship; or
  2. Legal resident of the U.S.; or
  3. Lawful immigration status.


Q. What are acceptable documents?

A. See the list of Acceptable Forms of Documentation.


Q. When and where do I submit my documentation?

A. Documents can be submitted as soon as you have been admitted.

Documents can be submitted in person at:
Registration & Transcripts Office
Administration Building, Main Floor
8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., M-F

Legible documents can be mailed to (include your name, student ID number, and a contact phone number):
Registration & Transcripts Office
University of Arizona
PO Box 210066
Tucson, AZ 85721-0066

Legible documents can be scanned and emailed to (include your name, student ID number, and a contact phone number):

We do not accept faxed documents. 

Some students are verified automatically through the following means.

  • If you have submitted a FAFSA to the Financial Aid Office, your Prop 300 verification will be automatically entered into our system and you do not need to do anything else. The FASFA contains information that certifies lawful presence in the US.
  • Some students with Arizona driver’s licenses are automatically verified through Motor Vehicle Department records.

To check and see if your lawful verification has already been provided, login to UAccess Student . Choose the “Academic” tab, then “Profile”. If your documentation is already on file, you’ll see the word “verified” for the Lawful Presence entry.


International students should contact an International Student Advisor at the Office of International Student Programs and Services at 915 N Tyndall Ave. They will assist you in verifying your status and updating your University of Arizona student record. If you have questions, call (520) 621-4627.

Outreach College/Distance Learning Students: Outreach College/Distance Learning students should contact the UA Outreach College at University Services Building Room 322, 888 N Euclid. They will assist you in verifying your status and updating your University of Arizona record. If you have questions, call (520) 626-3327.

Students Transferring from Pima Community College (PCC): Starting in June, 2008 if you have already supplied verification of lawful presence while enrolled at Pima Community College, you will not need to re-verify when you enroll at the University of Arizona. The University will obtain verification from PCC.

All students: If you fail to provide documentation, you will be required to pay non-resident tuition and cannot receive scholarships or other financial aid from state monies. Failure to provide documentation in a timely fashion may result in billing confusion and delay disbursement of financial aid.


Q. How often must I provide documentation?

A. Once proof of residency status is determined; it will be updated only when receipt of new information is submitted by the student and reviewed by the appropriate UA Office. For example, when a visa expires it must be renewed if state supported aid is to be provided.


Q. Whom do I contact for questions about acceptable documents?

A. Students may contact for assistance.


Q. Whom do I contact for questions about state-financed non-need based financial aid?

A. Students may contact for assistance.


Q. I am a UA South student. Do I need to take my documents to the Main Campus?

A. You may submit your documents to any UA South Office.


Q. Does Proposition 300 deny students without lawful presence admission to the UA?

A. No. Proposition 300 does not restrict who may apply and be admitted to the UA.


Q. Does Proposition 300 prohibit all financial aid to students who cannot show lawful presence?

A. No. Proposition 300 does not restrict eligibility for scholarships funded by non-state sources (including private-donor scholarships administered by the UA), as long as the student meets all other scholarship criteria (i.e., major, college, etc.).


Q. Does Proposition 300 require the UA to report students without lawful presence enrolled at the UA?

A. No. Proposition 300 requires reporting aggregate data, not individual student information. Personally identifiable student information is subject to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). For more information about FERPA, see


Go to...

Related Links...