University General Petitions: Key participants in the petition process
The individual who initiates the petition process.
- Obtain the required petition form. Legibly and completely fill out the petition form.
- When necessary, meet with a faculty member, advisor, or Dean to further discuss the nature of the petition.
- Supply any documentation that would support the petition request. (see also instructions for additional documentation.)
- Take your completed petition, along with all documentation, to the location listed on Step 4 of the petition form.
- During the review process, a timely response is expected to any request by the University General Petitions Committee to supply additional information.
- If your petition is denied, you may contact the University General Petitions office to schedule an appointment if you feel you deserve redress to the decision of the Committee. The phone number is 626-5896.
The Dean of the student's college will review the General Petition before it is sent to the Office of Registration and Transcripts.
- Read the student's petition completely, in a timely manner. If necessary, meet with the student to further discuss the nature of the petition.
- Confirm that all required documentation is attached.
- Give a recommendation for approval, for denial, or for consideration. Any comments added will be taken into consideration by the Committee.
- Attach additional documentation which may be available regarding the student's request.
- Sign and date the petition.
- Forward petition to the Office of Registration and Transcripts, First Floor Lobby, Administration, Room 210.
Office of Registration and Transcripts and General Petition Office:
- Receive the General Petitions
- Contact the student if additional information is needed.
- Forward the General Petition with any additional documentation to the General Petitions Committee or if Medical withdrawal, to Campus Health.
- Circulate the petitions to the Committee members so they can record their vote and indicate a reason which supports their vote.
- Notify the student by email of the Committee's decision.
- Receive and process the reviewed petitions after a final decision has been made.
A committee comprised of University teaching faculty who review and render decisions on General Petitions. Names of members of the Committee are kept confidential and members do not meet or communicate with students in the petition process.
The head of the General Petitions Committee. Responsibilites include, but may not be limited to:
- Fulfill responsibilities of a committee member.
- Try to prevent recurrence of errors made when a petition is approved based on University error.
Committee member's responsibilities:
- Completely read a student's petition, including any supporting documentation in a timely fashion.
- Give recommendation (for approval or denial) taking into consideration supporting documentation and recommendation of the Dean.
Course instructors and medical personnel all play important roles in the petition process. See additional documentation for more information.