Managing Your GI Bill Education Benefit at UA
Step 1: Apply for Admission: Go to http://www.arizona.edu/how-apply-ua. If you have questions about this process the following staff members work specifically with veteran affiliated students:
- UA Main Campus Admissions Office: Paul Miller, 520.621.8332, firstname.lastname@example.org
- UA Online Campus (undergraduate): Jacob Walls, 520-626-5979, email@example.com
- UA South Sierra Vista Campus: Michelle Menninger, 520-626-2422, firstname.lastname@example.org
- ALL UA Graduate Programs (Main and Online Campus): Kevin Alexander, 520-626-2411, email@example.com
You can follow your admissions process by logging into How to Apply (www.arizona.edu/how-apply-ua )
Step 2: Skip to Step 3 if you are the service member or veteran using your own GI Bill. If the student is a spouse or dependent of an active duty service member and using the Post 9/11 GI Bill, the service member must transfer their benefit to the student through the Department of Defense. Complete the Transfer of Entitlement request here: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/ . Once the Transfer of Entitlement is approved the student must then apply to use their GI Bill benefit. This takes approximately 4 to 6 weeks and the VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
Step 3a: If you've never used the GI Bill before, apply for your GI Bill ®: Complete the Veterans Online Application located at www.vets.gov .
- Service Members and Veterans: Use Form 22-1990 for all benefit chapters
- Transfer of Benefits to Dependents and Spouses: Use Form 22-1990E to apply for Post 9/11 GI Bill Transfer of Entitlement
- Dependents and Spouses: Use Form 22-5490 for Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program OR The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (dependents or surviving spouse of service members who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10, 2001)
Step 3b: If you've already used the GI Bill at another school then you will have to fill out the proper transfer form to get the VA to switch your benefit to our school. You will upload the Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form to our office when you are completing Step 6.
- Veteran, Service Member or CH33 Transfer of Entitlement Dependent/Spouse (form 22-1995): http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-1995-ARE.pdf
- The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship or Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (form 22-5495): http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-5495-ARE.pdf
If you are a main campus Vocational Rehabilitation student, your counselor will send a copy of your Authorization and Certification of Entrance of Reentrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status (form 28-1905) to our office, the Main Campus Bookstore AND the Bursar's Office. UA South student forms are emailed to Clara Gonzalez at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Step 4: Register with VA eBenefits @ https://www.ebenefits.va.gov and make a PREMIUM account. This is where you will go to check your deposits from the VA along with the history of your certification status and months of benefit remaining, setup direct deposit or update your address.
Step 5: Check your Residency Status (for tuition purposes) and Verification of Lawful Presence (VLP: Prop 300): This can be viewed in UAccess Student Center under demographic data. Please contact either UA Main Campus Veterans Services Office 520-621-9501 or UA South Veterans Services Office 520-626-2422 immediately if your residency status is incorrect or if you have any questions.
The University of Arizona offers In-State residency for tuition purposes under some military exceptions (http://registrar.arizona.edu/forms/residency-forms ).
Step 6: Enroll in classes and submit your certification request: To prevent delays in receiving your education benefits, you must submit your veteran academic certification request PRIOR to the beginning of EACH semester or summer session in which you will use your benefits. Submit your request through UAccess Student Center (https://uaccess.arizona.edu choose Student Center) and then go to Finances and then choose Veteran Certification from drop-down menu. Instructions on this process can be found here http://registrar.arizona.edu/military-benefits/online-veteran-academic-certification-guide .
Office Locations and Contact Information
|UA Main, Phoenix, Online and Distance Campus Students||UA South Campus Students|
|Modern Languages Building, Room 347||UA Sierra Vista Campus - Groth Hall, Room 107|
|Phone: (520) 621-9501||Phone:(520) 458-8278 or (520) 626-2422|
|Fax: (520) 621-3665||Fax:(520) 458-5823 or (520) 626-2492|
|Email: email@example.com||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|