Compliance Manual Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA): Section II
ACCESS TO STUDENT EDUCATION RECORDS BY STUDENTS AND ELIGIBLE PARENTS
|A.||Who May Have Access; How This is Determined; What Records Are Kept; Copying Charges
Students and parents of dependent students have the right to inspect and review all education records as defined by the Act, except for those records enumerated in the denial of access section of this manual.
Information concerning the types and locations of The University of Arizona education records is found in Appendix I.
Consult this appendix for information on type, kind, location, and responsible records keeper. The University reserves the right to change the copying fees stated in this manual. There is no charge for searching, processing, or review.
|B.||Procedures and Forms for Access to Education Records Other than Transcript Information
If a student or the parent of a dependent student wishes to obtain access to a portion of the education records (other than a transcript), the Access to Education Records Form (listed under Appendix II.2) must be used. For convenience, these forms are located in the Office of the Registrar, the Dean of Students' Office, and the Office of the Dean of the Graduate College.
To complete the access process, use the following guidelines:
If the student requires an official copy of The University of Arizona transcript, an Official Transcript Request must be completed. Requests are sent to the Office of the Curriculum and Registration with the applicable transcript fee. Requests may not be honored if the student’s financial account at the University is delinquent, or if there is an unresolved disciplinary action against the student.
Related FERPA links
- FERPA Training (web course)
- Student Records Privacy Guidelines, Office of the Registrar
- UA Policies & Procedures
- Family Policy Compliance Office -- U.S. Department of Education
- Protecting the Privacy of Student Records (Guidelines for Education Agencies) -- U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics
- FERPA and Campus Safety (From the National Association of College and University Attorneys) -- Office of the General Counsel
- The Family Rights and Privacy Act: 7 Myths - and the Truth -- The Chronicle of Higher Education